50/fifty: 50 Years of Aratoi Exhibition
Aratoi celebrates 50 years of collecting with an exhibition, public events, an education programme and publication.
With more than 3000 items to choose from, this exhibition reflects highlights, significant events and the many gifts received, that have helped form the Aratoi Collection.
From the obvious, such as work by Colin McCahon, Robin White and Barbara Hepworth, to the less obvious: an 1869 ship’s biscuit with a tale to tell; from Taonga Māori to botanical sketches and contemporary art to photographs of early settlement, there will be some surprises as items never shown before emerge into the light.
Exhibition Opening: Friday 16 August 5.30pm
Public Talk: Saturday 17 August 11am – with Director Susanna Shadbolt & Collection Manager Bronwyn Reid
Free Public Floortalks: Every second Sunday from 1 September at 2pm
- 1 Sept The 1970s – Luit Bieringa, Director National Art Gallery (1979-89)
- 15 Sept The 1980s – Barbara Roydhouse, Chair of Aratoi Regional Trust
- 29 Sept The 1990s – Bob Francis QSO MBE, Mayor of Masterton (1986-2007)
- 13 Oct The 2000s – Richard Arlidge, former Aratoi Director
- 27 Oct The 2010s – Dame Robin White, Honorary Patron of Aratoi
Aratoi - Wairarapa Museum of Art & History
Cnr Bruce and Dixon St, Masterton
Open 7 days from 10.00am – 4.00pm everyday
Admission by gold coin donation