Day trip from Wellington
Next door to Wellington you'll find Wairarapa - a stunning region known for its wine and food, boutique shopping and accommodation. It's the perfect day trip or overnight stay from the city. Much of the beautiful wine and food found on the menus in Wellington’s restaurants is grown here. All just over an hour's drive or train ride from Wellington.
Wairarapa is home to special towns including:
Martinborough is packed with colonial charm, with over 20 wineries most within walking or cycling distance of the quaint village square which is laid out in a Union Jack pattern. Some of New Zealand’s best pinot noir comes from the town’s friendly family-owned vineyards. With the small vineyards and olive groves being so close to each other cycling-the-vines is a very popular thing to do. Enjoy lunch outside at one of the attractive vineyards.
Greytown is on State Highway 2 (and is just 15 minutes drive from Martinborough). This country village oozes metropolitan style. There’s a sophisticated mix of independent boutiques, galleries, antique stores and cafes which make it one of New Zealand’s premiere shopping destinations. Beautifully restored Victorian wooden buildings line the Main Street.
How to get here:
Take a guided day tour from Wellington
Green Jersey Explorer Tours - catch their shuttle from Wellington and choose one of their guided bike tours.
In a small group?
Martinborough Gourmet Wine Tour is a small group tour that takes in four Martinborough vineyards and includes lunch. Learn why this charming village is home to some of the world's top Pinot Noir.
Hammonds Palliser Bay Tour is a small group tour that explores part of the Wairarapa coastline including the famous Cape Palliser lighthouse, the fishing village of Ngawi, the fantastic seal colony and some dramatic Lord of The Rings film sites.
Trains run every day connecting Wellington with the Wairarapa towns of Featherston, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton - check out a Wellington to Wairarapa timetable here (due to upgrade work, buses replace all weekday daytime services between Featherston and Masterton. Check the timetable here). Simply catch a connecting bus to to get to the wine village of Martinborough or the colonial village of Greytown.
- To get to Martinborough simply hop off the train in Featherston and board a Martinborough bus which meets every train, except the late train on Fridays. Another option is to book a shuttle with Rimutaka Shuttles or Carterton Shuttles. Martinborough Wine Tours also offer transfers to/from Featherston station with bookings.
- To get to Greytown during the week hop off the train at Woodside Station (its 5km out of town) and board the bus which meets all weekday trains (except the late train on Fridays). Due to upgrade work all weekday daytime services between Featherston and Masterton are replaced by bus which takes you straight to Main Street Greytown.
- To get to Greytown on a Saturday or Sunday you'll actually need to get off the train at Featherston Station and hop on the route 200 bus waiting at the station which takes you to Main Street Greytown. To get back to Featherston and catch the return train to Wellington get the route 200 bus at 4.55pm outside St Johns Hall (opposite The Hub) on Main Street, (Greytown Bus Stop 1822 - Main Street near 74). This will get you to Featherston Station in time for the train back to Wellington. Check the timetable here and see below.
- To get to Greytown, if your train is replaced by bus you'll be able to get off right in town at Bus Stop 1822 Greytown - Main Street near 74. To return to Wellington catch the bus at this same stop at 4.55pm to get to Featherston Station in time for the train back to Wellington.
- Or bring your bike on the train and cycle into town along the pretty Woodside Trail. Just get to the station early at peak commuter times (4.25pm and 5.30pm) as the bike carriage can fill up fast.
- Carterton Shuttles offer personal shuttle services to Wellington airport in a comfortable 9-seater shuttle or cab for 4-people.
- Claremont Cabs - a reliable door to door shuttle and taxi service in Wairarapa and Wellington tailored to suit you, including Wellington airport transfers.
Come with a guide in a luxury car
- Capital Personalised Tours with John Barry
Hire a car
- Check out Hertz Thrifty Car Rental in Masterton with a diverse and modern fleet to suit every journey.
- Take a look at The Lott Rentals in Masterton for a range of quality cars at affordable prices.
We think there's a pretty big likelihood you'll like it here. We'd love you to stay a night or two. Have a look (and book) top-notch Wairarapa accommodation.