Other things to do while you’re here for Wings
While you're here for Wings check out special offers for ticket holders, catch a local event or take a look around our beautiful region:
Special offers for Wings ticket holders:
The Screening Room
To celebrate Wings Over Wairarapa 2021 The Screening Room have secured a couple of screenings of the incredible documentary film SPITFIRE. Tickets are just $10 each, so come and see this spectacle on the big screen before it disappears again!
Thurs 25 Feb 6pm and Sat 27 Feb 6.20pm.
Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre
Spread your own Wings! Visit the nearby Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre and relax in nature amongst ancient native forest and wildlife. Bring your Wings tickets over the Air Festival weekend 26 – 29 Feb (includes traveling days either side!) and with every paid entry into the reserve you'll receive a free barista coffee or free juice box for the kids.
Bring your Wings ticket to these Trust House venues during Wings weekend to receive a complimentary beer, glass of wine or non-alcoholic drink with your meal - Apache Jack's Family Restaurant, Kuripuni Sports Bar, The Farriers Bar & Eatery, and The Grill at Solway Park.
The Grill at Solway Park
Check out their Wings Over Wairarapa specials - Spicy Chicken Wings with BBQ sauce for $12 and Fish and Chips including 1 piece of crumbed hook with tartare sauce and fries for $12.
They're so excited for Wings Over Wairarapa this weekend they've pulled together a collection of aviation-themed books for their window display – including lots of treasures from upstairs!
Local events over Wings weekend:
Summer Sunday Sessions - Enjoy live music, pizzas, platters and burgers, and beautiful Margrain wine on their sunny lawn by the vines. Book a table, or pick up one of their picnic blankets on your way in. Sunday 7 Feb 2pm–5pm. Margrain Vineyard, Martinborough.
Saturday Laughs at the Garrison, with Brendhan Lovegrove - Saturday Laughs is a two hour comedy showcase of some top Kiwi talent, headlined by special guest Brendhan Lovegrove along with New York's Neil Thornton MCing - guaranteed to bring the big laughs! Saturday 27 Feb 8pm – 9.30pm, The Garrison Cafe & Bar, Fox St, Featherston.
Check out top tips below for seeing our beautiful region;
- Pop into Aratoi - Wairarapa Museum of Art & History to see their latest exhibition
- Then check out Queen Elizabeth Park across the road with its huge playground, flying fox, miniature train and pedal boats, mini-golf, and BMX and skate park!
- Take the kids for a fluffie and lunch at The Farriers Bar and Eatery, Masterton
- Watch a movie at Regent 3 Cinemas or the Screening Room in Masterton
- The Woolshed – get the chance to experience the ambience and smells of a wool shed, coming face to face with virtual shearers, wool handling and shearing equipment!
- MasterBowl on Queen Street is a great activity for the whole family
- The Clareville Bakery has some of the best artisan bread and European-style pastries you can buy!
- Explore a historic village from the past at Cobblestones
- Shop 'til you drop! Clothes, shoes, homeware and more ... it's all here
- Schoc Chocolates – check out their library full of over 85 different flavours of hand-crafted Belgium chocolate
- There are lots of places to eat in Martinborough. Enjoy a tasting platter among the vines, lunch at a café in the Martinborough square, or cycle the vines
- Visit a Martinborough vineyard for a delicious wine tasting
- A spot of shopping is a must! There's everything from homewares to award-winning olive oil and NZ designer clothes
- Follow your nose to C'est Cheese, jammed packed with a large range of NZ made cheeses and artisan delights.
- Explore the family-friendly Fell Locomotive Museum and see the steam train that once hauled passengers over the Rimutaka Hill.
- An hour or so to spare? Check out the town's book stores.