The Featherston Booktown festival is a wonderful weekend of books, ideas, conversations, workshops, stories, provocation and inspiration enjoyed by all ages. The next Festival is from 5 - 8 May 2022 - learn more here.
Armchair Travel over labour Weekend 2021
Featherston Booktown brings two amazing events to Featherston over Labour Weekend, both held at Anzac Hall in Featherston:
- Rick Gekoski: A Life in Books - hear stories of his work in the rare book trade from his book Guarded By Dragons - perfect for those interested in books, literature and travel, or anyone who simply loves an entertaining tale. Sat 23 Oct 11am–12pm, followed by The Featherston Poetry Competition's award ceremony.
- John Hellemans: A Biker's Tale - next up is John's tale about the ups and downs of his hilarious cycling adventures during the 2018 Tour Aotearoa, from his book A Biker's Tale. He'll be joined by elite sportsperson Roger Robinson. Sat 23 Oct 2pm-3pm.
The Edible Backyard with Kath Irvine
Learn how Kath feeds her family with spray-free, natural, low impact food as she guides you through her easy to understand book, The Edible Backyard, suitable for all skill levels from beginners to seasoned green thumbs. Sat 6 Nov 5-6pm, The Trade Hall 1, Solway Showgrounds, Masterton. Learn more and get your tickets here.
Kitchenmaid and the Wine Writer talk Homecooked
Saturday 20 November, Anzac Hall, Featherston
Hear Lucy discuss her brand new cookbook, Homecooked: Seasonal recipes for every day, together with wine writer Joelle Thomson. Learn how she keeps herself cooking, and how you can to. A funny and entertaining talk! Learn more and get your tickets here.
What is a Booktown?
Featherston is one of only 22 accredited Booktowns in the world, and the only one in New Zealand. Criteria for international Booktown status include having a certain number of book shops in the local community, (Featherston has seven and counting) and hold a regular book festival.
Here are the book stores in town:
- For the Love of Books
- Featherston Ferret
- Messines Bookshop: Military History
- C'est Cheese for great secondhand cook books
- Loco Coffee and Books www.facebook.com/lococoffeeandbooks/
- The Dickensian Bookshop: www.thedickensianbookshop.com/
- Feather's Den at Sweet
- Chicken and Frog Bookstore