Need some ideas for entertaining the kids in the School Holidays? There's lots to see and do with our big open spaces and stunning scenery – explore more in your own backyard! Check out our handy list of events below or download a guide here.
What's on these school holidays (Friday 8 July to Sunday 24 July):
Greytown Festival of Christmas
A spectacular festival of lights, markets, workshops, and family fun for the entire month of July! Check out the full programme, download the programme or check out events perfect for kids here:
- Main Street Glow - Every night in July, Greytown's main street will glow with a spectacular Christmas themed light display.
- The Great Greytown Scavenger Hunt - Find all the Gingerbread people in the windows of Greytown stores for a free kids drink throughout July.
- The Great Gingerbread Hunt - Find brightly lit 8-foot gingerbread men around Greytown throughout July to go in the prize draw.
- Kids mornings at the Honey Stables with Greytown Honey - Make a beeswax wrap, label and fill a jar of honey and paint a bath bomb. Every Sat in July 11am-12pm.
- Toymaker Wooden Workshops - Kids complete a fun, simple project and leave with a wooden toy, each Sat in July.
- Cobblestones Country Village Fete - Ride the old fire engine, play old fashioned games and catch The Great Gingerbread Bake off. Sat 9 July 10am-4pm.
- School Kids Chocolate Discovery Workshop - Create unique chocolate creatures and taste chocolate! Wed 13 & 20 July 9am, 11am & 2pm.
- Cobblestones A Very Victorian Christmas - Ride the old fire engine, play old fashioned games, and make Christmas decorations. Sat 16 July 10am-4pm.
- Cobblestones A Woolly Good Christmas - Celebrate all things woolly with sheep shearing, wool fashion, craft and spinning. Sat 23 July 10am-4pm.
- Dogs Day Out - Show off your buddy's unique fashion sense, hidden talents and their good side to the camera. Sun 24 July 10am-12pm
Carterton Events Centre - plenty on
- Dream Garden, a school holiday special combining aerial circus, projection art and comedy. Thurs 21 July at 10am and 1pm.
- The Pantaloons Presents: Jack & the Beanstalk, packed with songs, silliness, audience participation for the whole family and all the fairy-tale magic of pantomime! Sun 24 July from 2pm.
Aratoi School Holiday Programme
- Matariki Mural - Help paint the Matariki mural within the exhibition Ngā Haerenga/ Journeys. Free activity Sunday afternoons 26 June, 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 July 2-4pm. Children must be supervised by an adult.
- Kite workshops - Make a decorative kite to take away. Wednesdays & Saturdays 11am-2pm during the school holidays.
- My favourite Journey - Write or draw your favourite journey, then get inspired by other memorable journeys each day in the school holidays.
- The Hide and Go Seek Aratoi Rocks - Pick up a blank rock from Aratoi, decorate it and then hide it somewhere in the region. If someone finds it, you can re-hide it and send a photo to #aratoirocks. Each day at Front of House.
Pūkaha Junior Rangers School Holiday Programme
- Spend the day exploring the forest, get to know the birds and watch them being fed, especially the cheeky kaka and tuna (longfin eels). Perfect for kids 5-11 years. Check out the dates and get your tickets here.
Navigating the dark sky:
- Star Safari Stargazing - Learn the night sky through large telescopes from instructors with years of experience, each day during the July school holidays.
- Self-guided tour of Stonehenge Aotearoa - Explore the henge by map and watch a visual that explains everything. Every Sat & Sun 10am-4pm.
School Holiday events:
- Masterton Skatepark School Holiday Skateboard Programme - Skateboard instructors provide riding advice and assistance. All skateboards, helmets and safety pads supplied. For kids 6 years and over 12 & 19 July 10am - 12pm. Register here.
Queen Elizabeth Park
- Try out Masterton's new state-of-the art skatepark with all the 'bells and whistles' of a traditional skatepark plus much more, that's fun for all ages!
- Visit Queen Elizabeth Park next door and ride around the lake on a pedal boat, have a round of mini golf, feed the ducks, walk over the swing bridge to the BMX track or visit the deer, walk around Queen Elizabeth Park's beautiful trees, and visit the huge playground with it's flying fox.
Also, check out these fun activities to do with kids and loads more here:
- Run wild at the coast, check out Castlepoint and Cape Palliser
- Pop into The Woolshed across the road from Queen Elizabeth Park
- Challenge yourself to an experience like no other at Borderlandz Paintball
- Try out professionally designed Rivenrock Mountain Bike Park
- Check out historic Cobblestones Museum in Greytown
- Explore wildlife at Pukaha National Wildlife Centre
- Be star struck with a Star Safari
- Head to MasterBowl for loads of fun!
- Get out into Nature
- Let the kids loose on the Wairarapa coast
- Walk the Outdoors
- Feel like a bike ride?
- Inside fun - if the weather isn’t playing ball
Take a short trip for a big change of scene! Stay for the holidays