Tours will recommence in Spring 2020.
Tour through South Wairarapa all the way to the Cape Palliser coast with the rural postie, Gordon Wyeth. Nobody has better stories than the local postman! Help him with his deliveries then dig in to a picnic lunch.
Starting in Featherston where the day's mail is sorted, the tour takes you along country roads most locals don't see, through farmland, to South Wairarapa's rugged coast:
- Pirinoa - famous for Pirinoa Lamb and a proper wooden floored rural general store (c.1886) which looks, feels and smells the way a general store should.
- Lake Ferry - at the coast on the shores of Lake Onoke where the ferry once ran
- Ngawi - a Cape Palliser fishing village famous for the fleet of bulldozers used for pushing and pulling the boats in and out of the water
- New Zealand fur seal colony
- Famous Cape Palliser lighthouse where you can climb to the top for fabulous views up and down the coast
After the mail run's finished it's time to relax on the south coast with a picnic lunch. It's a full day so there are plenty of snacks on board for you to have on the way.
Gordon has been the RD2 rural postman since 2004. He knows everyone and all their stories.