The best views of the coast are the ones you get when you wander.
Catered and guided walks - these need to be booked
- Tora Coastal Walk starts with an overnight stay in renovated shearers' accommodation. A highlight is the Tora coastline with a shipwreck and deserted beaches. The food is as famous as the walk - ask for a copy of the cookbook!
- Whareama Coastal Walk is a 2 or 3 day walk over private farmland and isolated coastline. Accommodation in rustic cottages, with all meals provided.
- Orui Coastal Walk is a fantastic 3-day walk that begins and ends at Riversdale Beach (45 minutes' east of Masterton).
- Kawakawa Station Walk is a 3 day walk through farmland, river valleys and native bush. Views of Cook Strait and delicious food are a highlight.
Explore any time
- Deliverance Cove at Castlepoint
- Honeycomb Rock at Glenburn Station, an hour from Masterton is an amazing place to explore; you've never seen rock like this!
- Ocean Beach at Palliser Bay is a great spot for beach combing
- Wairarapa Moana walks through wetlands of national significance at Lake Ferry range from 20 minutes to two hours