Te Rakau Birding offers fully guided half and full-day bird watching tours for small groups in the Western Lake area of South Wairarapa. Enjoy the stunning Wairarapa coastline, explore native bush and lagoons and see a diverse range of birds.
Explore three locations:
1. Te Rakau – features garden and bush birds
Walking access through native bush and gardens with expansive views of surrounding countryside. Some small inclines and hill walks as part of this experience.
2. Pounui Lagoons/Lake Onoke – see wetland birds, fresh water and estuary birds
Drive to stop bank and walk on flat gravel track over looking this pristine wetland area.
3. Onoke Spit – discover coastal and marine birds
A five minute drive to Onoke Spit and 4-wheel experience on this remote but spectacular piece of Palliser Bay coastline with views of the South Island’s Kaikoura mountains in the distance.
- Half-day tour is approximately 3-4 hours long and will include visits to two sites and a morning or afternoon tea. Price per person $100.
- Full day tours are approximately 6-7 hours and will visit all three sites with a light lunch included. Price per person $180.
Start times can be flexible and tours are able to be adapted to meet individual requests.
Lake Wairarapa is part of the Wairarapa Moana - the largest wetland in southern North Island, covering over 9000 hectares and a great place for walking and to see local wildlife of national and international significance.