Summer in the Wairarapa
There's nothing like summer in the Wairarapa with our wide open spaces and plenty to do. Visit our character towns, head out to our rugged coast, check out our wildlife or take it easy and 'explore' our vineyards & wineries. They're heaps of reasons to spend summer here:
Check out Summer fun below or see more great events here:
- Castlepoint Races - experience the thundering of hooves across wet sand and the cheering of the crowd on Saturday 24 February (subject to beach conditions and tides).
- Golden Shears - the best sheep shearers, wool pressers and wool handlers put it all on the line in the world's premier competition from Thursday 29 February to Saturday 2 March.
- As an official Dark Sky Reserve, our night sky is among the best places in the world to view the never-ending star filled skies above.
- Aratoi Wairarapa Museum of Art and History is gem among regional art galleries. Discover local painters, photographers and sculptors and check out top-quality gifts.
- Masterton's awesome Skate Park is the bomb. Great for all levels its great free family fun.
- Queen Elizabeth Park is a destination in itself - ride a classic miniature train, have fun on one of the best kid's playgrounds in New Zealand, ride the lake on a pedal boat, and cross the iconic swing bridge to a BMX track.
- Get up close to endangered wildlife at Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre. Walk through their free flight aviary home to native birds and listen to daily talks from the rangers.
- Experience Wairarapa's spectacular coast at Castlepoint and Cape Palliser with their stunning lighthouses, plus at Cape Palliser see the seal colony and colourful bulldozers at nearby Ngawi.
FOOD & WINE
- Choose your Wairarapa eats by region or discover dozens of our top foodie delights - take your pick of fresh local food from farmers markets to artisan treats!
- At the heart of the Classic NZ Wine Trail, Wairarapa has plenty of cellar doors to choose from - hire a bike and cycle the vines!
- Retail therapy in Greytown with designer clothing boutiques, shoe stores, homeware, quirky antiques, and art shops makes the perfect Girl's Trip!
- Could Blackwell and Sons be New Zealand's most beautiful bike shop? Greytown locals and visitors alike have been making a beeline to the Blackwell and Sons emporium to drool over its stylish British cycling wares.
- Chill out with a book from one of our many bookstores starting in Featherston Booktown and beyond. Download the Booklover's Trail Te Ara Kai Pukapuka Audio App and explore the region through literature.
- Summer is the perfect time to get out in the fresh air on one of our many walks.
- Explore Mt Holdsworth, with plenty of short walks through beech and podocarp forests - perfect for the whole family!
- Head out to Castlepoint and stop at Rewanui Forest Park on the way for a quick loop walk.
- Fensham Reserve is one of the best places for a bush walk near Carterton.
- It's a great time of the year to enjoy the popular Remutaka Cycle Trail with sections to suit all abilities, and plenty of day ride options.
- Coming by train from Wellington? Bring your bikes and cycle the scenic Greytown Trail from Woodside station into Greytown, or even walk the trail!
- Soak up the stunning scenery and visit Martinborough Vineyards on your bikes.
- Book your accommodation here or call our isite Visitor Information Centre who can book for you and answer any questions.