Castlepoint has been voted one of the country's top 10 most loved beaches. Just an hour from Masterton, it's the perfect getaway, with swimming, surfing, walking trails galore and a rugged east coast vibe.
Fuel is available at the Whakataki Hotel 24 hours a day - pay at the pump.
- The lighthouse. First lit in 1913, it's one of the last two remaining beam lighthouses in NZ. Stroll up and imagine life as a lighthouse keeper - the last one was on the job until 1988.
- Fishing - try your luck!
- Pop into the beachfront store for a classic rolled icecream or espresso coffee.
- Play nine holes at the pretty Castlepoint golf course
- Visit historic Tinui - site of NZ's first Anzac service
- Climb the Deliverance Track to Castle Rock
- Horse races on the beach
- Enjoy great pub food and a pint at the Whakataki Hotel
- Explore the Mataikona Rocks, just 15 minutes' drive away
- Keep an eye out for the annual Castlepoint fishing competition in January each year
- Learn how to surf, whatever your age, with Zacks Surf School
Don't forget to stop at Rewanui Forest Park on your way to Castlepoint (it's just before the Riversdale turn-off) - a series of of loop walks through a 334 hectare farm, taking in native bush and pine forest.
Check out our stunning Wairarapa coast! Here are some shots of Castlepoint and Cape Palliser.