Come by train
Next door to Wellington you'll find Wairarapa - a stunning region known for its wine and food, boutique shopping and accommodation. It's the perfect day trip or overnight stay from the city. Much of the beautiful wine and food found on the menus in Wellington’s restaurants is grown here. All just over an hour's drive or train ride from Wellington.
Catch the train :
Trains run every day connecting Wellington with the Wairarapa towns of Featherston, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton - check out a Wellington to Wairarapa timetable here (due to upgrade work some trains will be replaced by bus. Check the timetable here). Simply catch a connecting bus to to get to the wine village of Martinborough or the colonial village of Greytown.
- To get to Martinborough simply hop off the train in Featherston and board a Martinborough bus which meets every train, except the late train on Fridays. Another option is to book a shuttle with Rimutaka Shuttles or Carterton Shuttles. Martinborough Wine Tours also offer transfers to/from Featherston station with bookings.
- To get to Greytown during the week hop off the train at Woodside Station (its 5km out of town) and board the bus which meets all weekday trains (except the late train on Fridays). Due to upgrade work all weekday daytime services between Featherston and Masterton are replaced by bus which takes you straight to Main Street Greytown.
- To get to Greytown on a Saturday or Sunday you'll actually need to get off the train at Featherston Station and hop on the route 200 bus waiting at the station which takes you to Main Street Greytown. To get back to Featherston and catch the return train to Wellington get the route 200 bus at 4.55pm outside St Johns Hall (opposite The Hub) on Main Street, (Greytown Bus Stop 1822 - Main Street near 74). This will get you to Featherston Station in time for the train back to Wellington. Check the timetable here and see below.
- To get to Greytown, if your train is replaced by bus you'll be able to get off right in town at Bus Stop 1822 Greytown - Main Street near 74. To return to Wellington catch the bus at this same stop at 4.55pm to get to Featherston Station in time for the train back to Wellington.
- Or bring your bike on the train and cycle into town along the pretty Woodside Trail. Just get to the station early at peak commuter times (4.25pm and 5.30pm) as the bike carriage can fill up fast.
We think there's a pretty big likelihood you'll like it here. We'd love you to stay a night or two. Have a look (and book) top-notch Wairarapa accommodation.