Wairarapa's right in the centre of New Zealand, and just a short hop from Wellington.
From Wellington by car
Jump on State Highway 2 for a direct, scenic drive up through the Remutaka Pass and down into the Wairarapa plains. It's 1hr 10 to Featherston. Add another 15 min for Greytown or Martinborough, or 20 min for Carterton or Masterton.
This driving-times page is super handy.
From Wellington by train
Trains run connecting Wellington with the Wairarapa towns of Featherston, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton, then simply catch a connecting bus to the wine village of Martinborough or the colonial village of Greytown.
Learn how to get to Wairarapa by train here.
From Wellington by Shuttle Bus
- Green Jersey Shuttles offer an on-demand service between Wellington and Masterton.
- Carterton Shuttles offer personal shuttle services to Wellington airport in a comfortable 9-seater shuttle or cab for 4-people.
- Claremont Cabs - a reliable door to door shuttle and taxi service right around Wairarapa and Wellington tailored to suit you, including Wellington airport transfers.
Flying from the North
Up North or down South? It's easy to fly into Palmerston North airport, hire a car then drive onto Wairarapa.
From Palmerston North by coach
An Intercity coach service runs between Masterton and Palmerston North via Woodville. Take a look at the Intercity Coach timetable or bus times here. The bus stop for the Masterton to Palmerston North service arrives and departs outside the Masterton isite Visitor Information Centre.
Take a Guided Tour
- Take a guided tour with Martinborough Wine Tours full of delicious wine and food.
- Wai Tours showcase Wairarapa's wine and food with customisable tours.
Drive with your guide direct from Wellington
Martinborough, Greytown and South coast tours are available. All arrangements are taken care of for you - simply enjoy your day:
Hire a car
- Check out Hertz Thrifty Car Rental in Masterton with a diverse and modern fleet to suit every journey.
- Take a look at The Lott Rentals in Masterton for a range of quality cars at affordable prices.
Drving an electric car?
See a list of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations located right around the Wairarapa.