King's Birthday Weekend
King's Birthday weekend is just around the corner! Take advantage of the extra day off and make the most of your time in Wairarapa. Whether you're looking for adventure, relaxation, or simply a great time, we have you covered.
- L'OR French Film Festival Aotearoa at The Screening Room - bringing the best of French cinema to Wairarapa this Thursday to Wednesday 7 June. Book here now.
- The NZSO: Stravinsky & Mendelssohn Portraits of Italy at Carterton Events Centre - featuring Anthony Ritchie's Whakatipua, Stravinsky's Pulcinella suite, and Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony this Friday at 7.30pm. Get your tickets here.
- Molewood Orchard Apple Picking - grab a basket and get ready for a fruity adventure! This Saturday, Sunday, and Monday 5 June from 9am-4pm.
- 3 Little Words - enjoy a four course set menu for $95 per person this Saturday at 6.30pm. Call or text 021 332 514 to book.
- Love Shack at Carterton Events Centre - See some of NZ's finest musicians playing songs by The B52's, Prince, INXS, Blondie, David Bowie, Billy Idol and many more! This Saturday at 8pm. Get your tickets here.
- Check out what else is on over Kings Birthday weekend here and take your pick - there's something for everyone!
Wine & Food
Take your pick of fresh local food from farmers markets to artisan treats, with wine to match!
- Wairarapa has plenty of cellar doors to choose from - hire a bike and cycle the vines. Check out up-to-date cellar door hours.
- Fabulous food options include cafes and restaurants, artisan food, chocolate and bakeries.
- In celebration of King Charles, Schoc have developed a special assortment of truffles in quintessentially British flavours: Pimms Number 1 chocolate with a hint of cucumber, mint and a dollop of strawberry with a Pimms ganache. These limited edition truffles - fit for a King - will on sale at Schoc in Greytown during King's Birthday weekend.
- Check out local farmers markets and stock up on fresh food for the long weekend.
Fun for the whole family
Check out some top activities for kids including a day at the beach, bike riding, horse riding and indoor activities if the weather isn't playing ball!
- Visit Queen Elizabeth Park in Masterton - one of the best parks in New Zealand!
- Try out the new state-of-the-art Masterton Skatepark.
- Everyone will enjoy a ride on a pedal boat.
- Wairarapa Farmers Market - It's the Annual Craft Market with plenty of locally made crafts as well as the usual fresh local produce, baking, preserves, olive oil and more from 9am-1pm on Saturday.
- Featherston Weekly Market - Stock up on produce from local producers and creators from 8am-1.30pm on Saturday.
- Carterton Farmers Market - Snap up locally grown, fresh fruit and veg, local olive oils and honey from 9am-12.30pm on Sunday.
Explore our walks
June is the perfect time to get out in the fresh air, and experience one of our many walks.
- Mt Holdsworth has plenty of short walks through beech and podocarp forests - perfect for the whole family!
- Head out to Castlepoint and stop at Rewanui Forest Park on the way for a quick loop walk.
- Fensham Reserve is one of the best places for a bush walk near Carterton.
Head to the coast
Explore the rugged beauty of the Wairarapa's wide-open spaces on a nature getaway.
- At Castlepoint you can explore rock pools, try your luck at fishing, or walk up to the lighthouse!
- Cape Palliser is unforgettable, with the largest seal colony in the North Island - climb the 253 steps to the lighthouse for stunning views.
- Lord of the Rings fan? Walk along the Paths of the Dead through the Putangirua Pinnacles.
Bring the family and stay the night
- Book a family room at Copthorne Solway Park with its heated indoor pool, spa, outdoor pool and playground.
- Check out other places to stay in the Wairarapa here.
- If you need local advice or help booking your accommodation, get in contact with our friendly isite Visitor Information Centre team.