The Putangirua Pinnacles near Cape Palliser are some of the most amazing rock formations you will ever see. Put on your sturdy walking shoes and do a day trip, or bring the family camping here.
This spot has star quality too - Peter Jackson (a local guy, you might have heard of him) filmed here for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The pinnacles are an hour's drive south of Martinborough or a little longer from Featherston. When you arrive, follow one of the walking tracks along the riverbed. Allow at least two hours return and take food and water with you.
Looking for a place to stay around Palliser Bay?
Other nearby activities include:
- The Land Girl Pirinoa Coffee House - a perfect place to stop for great coffee and simple, delicious food.
- Ngawi fishing village. See the old bulldozers getting boats in and out of the sea
- Cape Palliser Lighthouse; Lonely Planet ranks it in the top 10 flashiest lighthouses in the world.
- Colonies of NZ fur seals around Palliser Bay
- Surfing, diving and fishing spots that dot the Cape Palliser coastline. This largely untouched part of the Wairarapa is pretty special.