Winter in the Wairarapa
There’s nothing like winter in the Wairarapa with our snowcapped mountains, crisp mornings and clear days. Our charming towns are home to warming food and boutique shopping, head out to our rugged coast, check out our wildlife or take it easy and 'explore' our vineyards & wineries. There's heaps of reasons to spend winter here:
- Crisp winter nights are perfect for spotting the milky way, and Wairarapa is one of the best places to see our Dark Sky!
- Aratoi Wairarapa Museum of Art and History is gem among regional art galleries. Discover local painters, photographers and sculptors and check out top-quality gifts.
- Get up close to endangered wildlife at Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre. Walk through their free flight aviary home to native birds and listen to daily talks from the rangers.
- Experience Wairarapa's rugged coast at Cape Palliser in winter with it's stunning lighthouse, seal colony and colourful bulldozers at nearby Ngawi.
- Snow-capped Hills - The Tararua Ranges often end up sporting a blanket of snow on winter nights. There's no better view to go with your cosy breakfast or fireside meal!
- Choose your Wairarapa eats by region or discover dozens of our top foodie delights.
- C'est Cheese and Sweet are like savoury and sweet siblings, right on Featherston's main street.
- Winter is olive season, the ideal time to taste your way through Wairarapa's award-winning oils.
- We're at the heart of the NZ Classic Wine Trail with boutique vineyards galore.
- Hire a bike and cycle the vineyards for a fun day out!
- Wrap your chilly mitts around a gourmet Hot Choc from Schoc Chocolates made from Murray Langham's delectable hand-crafted flavours.
- It's a great time of the year to enjoy the popular Remutaka Cycle Trail with sections to suit all abilities, and plenty of day ride options.
- Coming by train from Wellington? Bring your bikes and cycle th scenic Greytown Trail from Woodside station into Greytown, or even walk the trail!
- Soak up the stunning scenery and visit Martinborough Vineyards on your bikes.
- Retail therapy in Greytown with designer clothing boutiques, shoe stores, homeware, quirky antiques, and art shops makes the perfect Girl's Trip!
- Could Blackwell and Sons be New Zealand's most beautiful bike shop? Greytown locals and visitors alike have been making a beeline to the Blackwell and Sons emporium to drool over its stylish British cycling wares.
WARM UP BY THE FIRE
- Check out our handy list of all the lovely places you can stay or dine at in the Wairarapa where you can warm up by the fire!
- You can book your accommodation here or call our i-SITE Visitor Information Centre who can book for you and help you with any questions.